Re: critical stances

Subject: Re: critical stances
From: KEVIN AUSTIN (KAUSTIN@VAX2.CONCORDIA.CA)
Date: Mon Feb 12 1996 - 02:33:14 EST

"Certainly," said Alice.

"And only one birthday for presents, you know. There's glory for you!"

"I don't know what you mean by 'glory,' " said Alice.

Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. "Of course you don't--till I tell
you. I meant 'there's a nice knock-down argument for you!"

"But 'glory' doesn't mean 'nice knock-down argument,' " Alice objected.

"When 'I' use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it
means what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you 'can' make words mean so
many different things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

"They've a temper some of them -- particularly verbs: they're the
proudest -- adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs --
however, 'I' can manage the whole lot of them. Impenetrability! That's
what 'I' say!"

"Would you tell me please," said Alice, "what that means?"

"Now you talk like a reasonable child ...

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Met-him-pike-hoses

My (our?) thinks to Lewis Carroll (Charles Dodgson) and Marion Bloom
(Jimmy Joyce).

Kevin Austin
kaustin@vax2.concordia.ca