Re: CEC Structure

Subject: Re: CEC Structure
From: Rob Cruickshank (robcruic@io.org)
Date: Sun Feb 04 1996 - 19:58:47 EST

Sarah Peebles is replying to this earlier discussion from RC's computer(has
some problems signing on to this list). Her address is sarahpbs@intacc.web.net

>The Board and Panel of the CEC have begun discussions on the state and
>structure of the CEC with regards the nature of Canada in the coming
>years. The following message was written by Al Mattes to the Board
>
>>We can effectively devolve into a regionalized organization if local
>leadership can be nurtured and regionally based projects encouraged.
>The meeting at McGill that recently took place is one example and the
>meetings in Toronto that seem to be developing are a welcome sign as
>well.
>
>What is needed is a series of events that can be marketed together but
>that are local in focus.

(from Sarah Peebles):
I and Robert Cruickshank, as noted above, are holding bi-weekly
meetings/salons at our house for the CEC and any interested people. From my
connections in my home-town of Minneapolis, MN, i've had dialogue with the
curator of "Sonic Circuits" electronic music festival, Philip Blackburn,for
some years now. This event is a project of the Minnesota Composers Forum
(now known as the National Composers Forum). We in Toronto are on the
brink of arranging a Toronto version of Sonic Circuits, which will include
some core international material curated by MCF (ACF) intersperced with
local live performances. We are considering two potential venues which have
their own distinct histories, focuses and audiences: The Music Gallery and
InterAccess (electronic media centre). We're going to try to make this a
small-budget event, but one which will be rich with community participation
and grass-roots local communication. I understand that Sonic Circuits is
hoping to have similar "satellite" (spelling?)events take place in at least
six other places, and I see the potential for other parts of Canada getting
involved through their local CEC members.

I understand that there are other festivals with an ea focus which are also
seeking venues to hold parallel events. I can't speak on behalf on Sonic
Circuits, but I can urge interested parties, esp. in Canada, to contact
Phillip Blackburn at compfrm@maroon.tc.umn.edu. Once we get something
half-way formal typed up (within 2 weeks), we'll post it here. I'd like to
urge people to keep this festival in mind as a good opportunity to build a
stronger Canadian presence not only in our "honorary Province" (Minnesota),
but as a part of a festival which has good int'l content, which distributes
curated material internationally for concerts and for radio broadcasts, and
which seems extremely well-organized.

>If Vancouver, Victoria mounted an event at
>the same time as the central region as London did as toronto did, as
>Montreal did, we could perhaps develop a senes of community through
>some technilogically based linkage. [...]
>
>In any case there needs to be more encouragement of locally based
>initiatives from the board and from the community. Perhaps we , as
>panel could ensure that this happens by planting seeds.

The people who have shown up at our some 7 meetings in Toronto have
expressed a variety of opinions on the topics of "technologically-based
linkage" and the purpose of locally-based initiatives. Some feel, and I
agree to some extent, that the former requires money - and lots of it -
which could (and should) otherwise go to the composers and performers. This
may be a hot potatoe, but it needs to be argued.

Personally, I don't develope a big sense of community through long-distance
links.I find it intersting and intriguing sometimes, but in this particular
community - Toronto - I rather value face-to-face communication and
exchange. If i lived in Quebec, it might be different, but I find T.O.
emotionally barren, because nobody bothers to truly connect with people with
whom they don't already have an intimate connection. Barren and, frankly,
eventually boring, stagnant, and often mediocre. It's that elusive magnetic
field which lies below the surface of Toronto which creates this strange
behavior....

Anyhow, that brings me to the latter, local initiatives. International
politics aside, I think that, in this "leaner" era, the CEC could benifit
from defining itself in part as local cells of people who get together and
plan activites - small and large(r). My very first question to myself,
about a year ago (when Bently Jarvis suggested starting up meetings here,
again), was, "why is this called the CEC, being that i feel absolutely no
sense of community here in Toronto?" Maybe at one time things were
different, but in my experience here in Canada since 1990, it's been pretty
distant. My goal, personally, in helping to provide a ground for meetings,
is to recreate a sense of "community" - that means friends, colleagues and
action. Not typing away, as I'm doing here - that's not action to me, at
least not the kind of action which keeps me alive and vital (though of
course it may be more valuable to others).

So, this is my reaction to this local situation. Obviously, every locality
has it's own distinct make up and needs.

On a bone-chilling (and drab, snowless) eve in Toronto.
Sarah Peebles sarahpbs@intacc.web.net
Rob Cruickshank
robcruic@io.org
http://www.io.org/~robcruic