CEC Structure

Subject: CEC Structure
From: KEVIN AUSTIN (KAUSTIN@VAX2.CONCORDIA.CA)
Date: Wed Nov 29 1995 - 02:00:05 EST

The Board and Panel of the CEC have begun discussions on the state and
structure of the CEC with regards the nature of Canada in the coming
years. The following message was written by Al Mattes to the Board, and
appears below in a slightly edited form for information and discussion
purposes.

Kevin Austin
CECDISCUSS List Administrator
Secretary to the CEC

Kevin Austin wrote:

With the rate and type of change being proposed by the Federal government
in the 'wake' (at least three meanings) of the Quebec referendum, the
Board has begun a discussion on the future of the CEC (if I can be so
dramatic) -- or more likely, we are always discussing the future.

FORWARDED MESSAGE from Al Mattes, President of the CEC

[edited by Kevin Austin]

[ ... text deleted ... ] However, there is a germ of an idea that Kevin
mentions that, I beleive is a good one. It came up in discussions that we
had late on Friday and it concerns the regionalization of the CEC.

There are many types of regionalization and confederations that can result
from a process and we should ensure that if we decide to go that route
that we are aware of the many pitfalls that have overtaken other orgs.
that move in this direction.

For instance the nature of the CMC (Canadian Music Center) could be
described as somewhat of a confederation except that seems to me to be
rather limited autonomy for the regional offices in terms of policy. I am
on unknown ground here and could be wrong.

[...]

We can effectively devolve into a regionalized organization if local
leadership can be nurtured and regionally based projects encouraged.
The meeting at McGill that recently took place is one example and the
meetings in Toronto that seem to be developing are a welcome sign as
well. However, the central part of Canada seems a little widespread
to me and projects would have to be fairly specifically designed to
take advantage of the geography and the tools at hand - read web
internet, radio etc.

[...]

In any case, politically the time is not a good one for centralization
and, as well, there remains the problem that Quebec is where our home
office is and Quebec maintains a Government with an avowed purpose of
leaving Canada. Therefore, it seems to me that it is likely that we
will have to face a crucial decision in the future about our
"national" role and perhaps we should address the issue now while
there is no real pressure but rather an understanding of the way the
world is changing as we speak.

What is needed is a series of events that can be marketed together but
that are local in focus. If Vancouver, Victoria mounted an event at
the same time as the central region as London did as toronto did, as
Montreal did, we could perhaps develop a senes of community through
some technilogically based linkage. [...]

In any case there needs to be more encouragement of locally based
initiatives from the board and from the community. Perhaps we , as
panel could ensure that this happens by planting seeds.

Al Mattes

END of FORWARDED MESSAGE

Kevin Austin continues:

There is, from my perspective, an intricate interconnection between the
position that Canadian organizations (not to mention the government) are
moving towards, and the international situation in the ea/cm community.

There are countries which have not managed to develop national
organizations because they have been unable to arrive at a satisfactory
internal arrangement for representation, and Canada is begining to look
at the devolution of national bodies.

The discussion of the place of CIME, NICE and ICMA is germane to this
discussion because I personaly would like to know if these organizations
would 'recognize' a regionalized CEC. Would the ICMA admit a
western-Canada based branch of the CEC as a 'national representative' (or
in more European terms - would the ICMA recognize a Scottish association
as distinct from the UK)?

The structural evolution of national and international societies no
longer takes place in a vaccuum, and Canada, unlike some very sad
situations in Europe, is in the situation of undergoing these rapid
transformations through peaceful democratic processes.

>From looking out at a cold wintery morning in Montreal, this is how I see
the practical aspects of Identity and Fragmentation.

Kevin Austin
kaustin@vax2.concordia.ca